Your printed photo collection is a valuable access.
With all of your collection rounded up into a single location, it's time to take stock by conducting an inventory. Make a listing of the items you've found being sure to note the type of materials, their grouping, and existing state.
Do your best to record the estimated count of items within your collection by type. Use these 'rules of thumb';
- 1" of stacked printed photos contains 80-100 images
- 4" of stacked 35mm slides contains 45-50 images
- 1" of stacked treasured paper contains 180-200 documents
- Rolls of film typically resulted in 12, 24, or 36 printed images
- 35 mm slides trays usually hold 80, 100, or 140 images
- A full Bankers Box (L 16″ x H 10″ x W 12″) typically accommodates 1800-2000 documents.
With a proper accounting of what's in your collection, you'll be ready to take advantage of the guidance in Tip 4 about dividing and conquering.